Evpatorian Light-house

  • Be the first to comment!
(0 votes)

Text

The ancient Greeks founded a lighthouse in Chersoneses in 422-421 years BC. Here, in Kalamitsky Bay, there were also many merchant ships, but neither ancient nor medieval signal structures were discovered. At the end of the 18th century the city, as is known, became known as Evpatoria. It grew rapidly, again its trade expanded, and navigation developed. Moreover, it developed so rapidly that by the middle of the nineteenth century the highest, in percentage terms, number of shipwrecks was recorded here. The city needed a reliable fairway guard.

In 1859 the Evpatoria Society of Shipping and Trade asked the command of the Black Sea Fleet to build a lighthouse on the shore of the bay. In 1860, the Hydrographic Department approved a project for future construction, and on August 1, 1861, the first iron lighthouse on the Black Sea became operational. He shone from a height of 16 meters above sea level with a constant white fire with glimpses every minute. According to this characteristic, recorded in the sail, the sailors recognized the shore of Evpatoria. Unfortunately, the lattice tower made in England on four racks, similar to a large iron box, proved to be very inconvenient to maintain, especially in winter. This was said already in 1867 in the "Report of the Hydrographic Department."

Inside of the French optical device primitive even for that time for oil lamps were burned there. The oil thickened in the frost, and the attendant had several times to climb over the tower to change the lamps. The work became tense, sometimes painful: after all the evil was played out bad weather, the more necessary the lighthouse became - and the more closely you had to follow it, climbing the tower. It was urgently required to install an oil heater and, most importantly, an integral metal or stone tower. But there was no money to build a new lighthouse, and in this form it worked for many more years. True, the tower was sheathed with metal sheets to protect it from the wind. In 1871, an oil lamp was replaced to use as fuel frost-free petroleum. But these were only half measures.

Contacts

Comments

Leave a comment

Назад

Поделиться: